PARENTING IS SUCH A DEEPLY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
If you want to see a Mom or Dad lose it, call into questions their methods. Challenge their ability to parent effectively or even blame them for their child’s shortcomings, and you are almost sure to get a less than pleasurable response.
plural noun: roots
1. the part of a plant that attaches it to the ground or to a support, typically underground, conveying water and nourishment to the rest of the plant via numerous branches and fibers.
2. the basic cause, source, or origin of something.
plural noun: wings
1. any number of specialized paired appendages that enable some animals to fly in particular.
2. a rigid horizontal structure that projects from both sides of an aircraft and supports it in the air.
So when it comes to our little people, what exactly constitutes roots. I have always thought that had something to do with teaching them to be grounded. As well as teaching them about their history and their heritage.
Wings, I see wings as providing them with the tools necessary to be successful, compassionate, loving and empathetic humans.
The fact of the matter is that (at jumping off point), most of us have a general idea of what kind of child we want to raise. After all we have had 9 months to think on it. We’ve tried our hardest to diligently plan every detail. If you are like me (a lil anal retentive), you created a Excel Spreadsheet with every item you thought your lovejoy could possibly need and you checked off each item. You packed your bags and waited for what you were sure would be a Chart Stopper of a day and it was!! You bring your lovejoy home only to realize, well he’s not all that lovable or joyous, lol. He’s got colic, wants to be held all the time, and came out all Type A and demanding your attention all the time. Which maybe wouldn’t be so bad, if you didn’t have two other kids on deck.
Fast Forward through some years and you’ve managed to get a General Ebb and Flow, you’ve found a way to cater to all the little and BIG personalities in your home.
And, you finally learn that:
1. EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT.
2. TO PARENT THE CHILD YOU’VE GOT AND NOT THE ONE YOU WANTED.
3. AND MAYBE BY NOW YOU’VE LEARNED THEIR INDIVIDUAL LOVE LANGUAGES.
You think you are finally getting this Insane Ride of Motherhood Down Pat. You’ve got Square Pegs – Fitting Into Circle Holes. You are rocking the Hell out of Life. Only to Realize…. You are Just Getting Started.